These days, it’s so easy to get scammed by people who pretend to be professional movers. They’ve cleaned their act so well, it’s become so difficult to spot them! To avoid becoming a victim to these scams, follow the tips we listed below:
Do your Research
The Internet is rich with articles and information on professional movers. Mention your location so you can get the details of professional movers near your area. If you find one, take the research one step further by checking their website and doing a background check.
Ask for Referrals
Ask you friends and family for referrals. What’s good about referrals is that you can get reliable feedback about the services of professional movers. In some cases, you might also be lucky enough to score a discount.
Visit their Office
Visit their office if it’s in your neighborhood. That way, you’ll have the opportunity to meet their staff and crew face to face and you can see if they have the right tools and equipment for moving. You can also ask them about their rates and see if it’s within your budget. Make sure that you ask them to sign beside the agreed rate so there won’t be changes in the future.
Before hiring professional movers, it’s important that you become familiar with the tools and equipment that they’ll be using. Knowing the purpose of each one will help you understand their strategies in moving your items plus, you can gauge if they can securely transfer all of your stuff to the new location.
Here’s a list of moving equipment used by the pros:
- Hoisting straps – right at the top of the list are hoisting straps that are wrapped around furniture that can’t fit through the front door. These furniture are transferred through the window with the help of the hoisting strap.
- Two-wheel dolly – this equipment makes loading and unloading boxes a piece of cake.
- Bins, crates, and four-wheel dollies – these can be filled with small items and boxes. These help lessen the number of trips needed to move the items.
- Appliance dolly – as mentioned in the name, this equipment is used to move heavy appliances.
- Ramps – professional movers can movers can easily transport heavy items using this equipment. Best part is they don’t have to use the stairs!
- Pallet jack – this equipment is used to load machines, furniture, and other heavy items on the truck.
- Piano board – if you have a piano that needs to be moved to the new location, you’ll definitely need this equipment. It has a lot of handles and straps to secure the piano while moving.
- Tool kit – this is important if there are furniture that need to be taken apart for easy transport.
- Trucks – of course, moving won’t ever be possible without the trusty truck!
More often than not, people who need to move to another location opt not to hire professional movers so they can save more cash. While it’s true that packing and moving things on their own spares them from spending more than they should, they often end up with damaged items because they lack the tools and the equipment to secure their items.
In this article you’ll find some more reasons as to why it is important to hire professional movers:
- Prevent injuries – when you hire professional movers, you won’t have to pack and move the things on your own because they will do those things for you. They also have tools and equipment that can help them move all of the heavy furniture.
- More time to focus on more important issues – with professional movers on board, you have more time to focus on decorating your new place and learning more about that new location. Where is the nearest hospital? Are there schools near where you live? What other amenities are available?
- You’ll end up saving more money – since all of your items will be handled by professionals, there’s a high chance that they will arrive safe and sound at the new venue. No need to spend on repairs!